Skip to content

Inclusive Design Challenge Forum

This forum provides an opportunity for project teams and potential advisors to connect with each other to collaborate and inform proposals. Teams participating in the Inclusive Design Challenge are strongly encouraged to identify representatives from both industry and the disability community. These representatives may serve as advisors and/or team members and help inform the direction of their idea based on their knowledge and expertise. Strong proposals will be well-informed by a rich understanding of user needs and industry conditions.

How it works:
  • Post a comment about your interest. For example, are you a team seeking an advisor, an advisor seeking a team, or do you have general question on the topic for your peers? If you are looking to connect with others, provide a way for them to contact you. All comments will be public information.
  • Check out questions, comments, or ideas others have suggested. You can even “like” a comment by voting to show your interest.
  • Be sure to create an account to sign in to be able to track responses to your post.
Thanks for joining our Challenge forum and for your interest in creating inclusive design solutions for the future of automated vehicles.

Do you have a Challenge question or suggestion?

Questions?  Contact us at inclusivedesign@dot.gov

8 results found

1. Non-passenger vehicle question

Can solutions that are demonstrated on shuttles or other non-passenger vehicles be considered for the Challenge?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2. Securement of Service Animals in AVs

One of the user needs within the Challenge is accommodation of service animals within the automated vehicle, particularly as the number of persons with service animals and the variety of service animals available increases. Vehicle design solutions are needed for service animal accommodations in future AV fleets. The solution(s) would include aspects of physical space, cues, ergonomics, ramps, etc. needed to accommodate different types and sizes of service animals. This should be done in concert with needs and space for different sizes of mobility devices.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Participate on Multiple Teams?

Can an organization/company with expertise for a disability participate on more than one team for Phase 1 and/or Phase 2? As an active member on one team, and an advisor on others?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Intellectual Property Rights

If an entity/individual gets into the second round are we allowed to submit for a provisional or regular patent for the invention that's in the submission?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5. related literature and bibliography questions

If we include references in our concept paper, does the bibliography count towards the 10 page limit? Or is that considered part of the appendix?

Is including references and related work in the concept paper encouraged? Any info on who might be reviewing these proposals would be really helpful to make sure we describing our proposed work to the right stake holders.

thanks!

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6. determine wheelchair passenger acceptability

Establish process to determine wheelchair passenger acceptability to utilize autonomous vehicle transportation service.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Available team member or advisor with a PhD in human factors engineering, a disability, and extensive experience with paratransit

I have a PhD from Virginia Tech and was the chair person of the disability advisory commission and transportation advisory commission in Arlington Virginia for six years. I recently moved to Berkeley Springs, West Virginia. I would like to make myself available to work with any project teams as I feel the goals of the inclusive design challenge are worthwhile and I can contribute a lot. Please check out my LinkedIn profile: https://www.linkedin.com/in/william-staderman-3099151/. please e-mail me to discuss further: wstaderman@verizon.net.

William Staderman

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Street Connectivity Impacts

How do street connectivity measures or standards, walkability, transit accessibility impact neighborhoods of different backgrounds and diversities?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Feedback and Knowledge Base